MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT DIVISION
Management Development Division (MDD) is one of the Divisions of Cabinet Office. The Division is responsible for designing and implementing reform initiatives including management systems that facilitate the attainment of optimum individual and organisational capacities in the Public Service to achieve and sustain efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of public services. The Division is the internal Management Consultancy Service for the entire Government.
The Goal of the Division is:-
“To facilitate the attainment of optimum individual and organisational capacities in the Public Service in order to achieve and sustain efficiency and effectiveness in the delivery of Public Services”.
MDD being an integral part of Cabinet Office directs its activities and efforts towards the achievement of Cabinet Office Mission.
FUNCTIONS AND STRUCTURE
Functions of the Division
The Management Development Division is broadly responsible for:
- Managing effectively the implementation of the Public Service Reform Programme (PSRP) in order to ensure attainment of programme objectives;
- Facilitating the development of Strategic Plans in order to provide an operational framework for ministries, provinces and service commissions including other public institutions;
- Facilitating effectively the development of optimum organizational structures and determining appropriate staffing levels in order to ensure the successful implementation of the Strategic Plans and maintain an affordable Public Service;
- Developing and facilitating the implementation of results-oriented performance management systems in order to improve performance and productivity;
- Facilitating individual and organizational capacity building in order to enhance and sustain performance accountability and productivity in the Public Service;
- Monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the reform programme activities in order to establish their effectiveness and come up with appropriate intervention measures;
- Reviewing Strategic Plans, Work Plans, Structures and Performance Management Systems (PMS) in order to align them to the changing environment; and
- Coordinate the implementation of the National Decentralisation Policy.
The Division’s structure comprises three (3) Sections and is headed by a Permanent Secretary. The Sections are Strategic Planning, Organisation Design and Systems and Performance Systems.
In addition to the three Sections, the Division oversees the functions of the Decentralisation Secretariat whose main responsibility is to oversee the implementation of the National Decentralisation Policy. As part of implementing the National Decentralisation Policy there is established a Decentralisation Policy Implementation Committee (DPIC) comprising of Permanent Secretaries. The Committee is chaired by the Secretary to the Cabinet and serviced by the Secretariat. The Committee provides overall coordination and guidance on the implementation of the Decentralisation Reforms.
Strategic Planning Section
The main role of the section is to facilitate the development and review of Institutional Strategic Plans for all government Ministries/Institutions in order to provide them with current and effective operational frameworks. The section also monitors and evaluates implementation of Strategic Plans to ensure attainment of Ministerial/Institutional goals. The Section also conducts Management and Performance Audits of Public Institutions.
Organisation and Systems Design
The main role of the section is to design appropriate organization structures and systems, determine optimum staffing levels and monitor and evaluate their implementation in order to facilitate the operationalisation of Strategic Plans for Ministries and institutions and enhance the effective, efficient and accountable conduct of government responsibilities and functions, taking into account changes in the environment that might influence organization structures from time to time.
Performance Systems Section
The main role of the Section is to develop and implement result oriented Performance Management System in the Public Service in order to improve individual and organizational performance. The Section is also responsible for developing Job Descriptions and Specifications for positions in the public service.
The Unit is responsible for the provision of support services to the Division which includes the following:
- Provide good office accommodation to members of staff in order to promote a conducive working environment;
- Effectively ensure the provision of staff welfare services in order to improve the welfare of staff in the Division;
- Provide road worthy vehicles in order to facilitate mobility; and
- Make all logistic and administrative arrangements for the smooth and effective operations of the Divisional work-plan,
- Public Service Reforms
The Zambian Government has been implementing a variety of public service reforms and initiatives that are aimed at making savings in public expenditure, improving the quality of public services, making the operations of Government more efficient and effective and ensuring that the policies formulated achieve the intended objectives.
MDD plays a critical role in the implementation of the reforms in the Public Service. Being the Consultancy wing of Government, the Division’s role is to provide technical support to public service institutions in the following areas:
- Strategic Management which includes strategic planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation,
- Re-organisation (re-designing) of Ministries/Public Institutions;
- Business Process Re-engineering;
- Performance Management Systems;
- Implementation of Service Delivery improvement Initiatives such as service charters and establishment of customer service centres (the Pamodzi Service Centres);
- Strengthening of Government’s Regulatory and Oversight Institutions.
OPERATIONALISATION OF THE VARIOUS POLICY MEASURES
The Division is also responsible for operationalising the various policy decisions made by Government. These include:
QUARTERLY MINISTRY PROGRESS REPORTS TO THE PRESIDENCY
Government recognizes that Ministries are key to the delivery of public services and thereby restoring the confidence of the Zambian people in their Government. Monitoring the performance of Ministries/Public Institutions is therefore at the heart of the Government Leadership. It is for this reason that His Excellency the President directed ALL Government Ministries to prepare and present Quarterly Progress Reports to him. The first of such reporting was done during February – March 2017 for the fourth quarter of 2017.
The Division, in collaboration with the Ministry of National Planning, provides technical support to Ministries in the preparation and presentation of quarterly reports.
PERFORMANCE-BASED CONTRACTS SYSTEM IN THE PUBLIC SERVICE
Government in 2015 decided to introduce A Performance Based Contract system beginning with Permanent Secretaries as chief executive officers responsible for the effective and efficient management of ministries/institutions.
The purpose of the Contracts, which are based on clearly established and agreed priorities for the Ministry/Institution, is to ensure and enhance accountability for performance in the public service. The first of such contracts for Permanent Secretaries were prepared and signed off for 2016.
The Division, in consultation with Ministries, is responsible for preparation and management of the Contracts on behalf of the Secretary to the Cabinet.
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT REFORMS
The Division is spearheading the implementation of the Human Resource Reforms. The aim of the reforms is to delegate some human resource management powers and functions from the Sector Service Commissions to Ministries, Provinces, Districts and Local Authorities and empower them to make timely decisions thereby, facilitating speedy decision making on Human Resource matters.
To augment the reforms the Government has enacted the Service Commissions Act No.10 of 2016 which has repealed and replaced the Service Commissions Act 1991. Currently, the Service Commissions Regulations are being prepared which once finalized will pave the way for the actual delegation of powers.
THE BALANCED SCORE CARD
Government has introduced the Balanced Score Card (BSC) in the Zambian Public Service. The Balanced Score Card is a management System and a strategic planning tool that enables organisations to clarify their Vision and Strategy and translate them into action.
The term “scorecard” signifies quantified performance measures while “balanced” signifies the system is balanced between:
- Short-term and long-term objectives;
- Financial and non-financial measures;
- Lagging and leading indicators; and
- Internal and external perspectives.
The Management Development Division has been given the responsibility of facilitating the rolling out of the BSC to the rest of the Public Service. The Division also spearheaded the development of the single vision for the Public Service.
CREATION/RE-ALIGNMENT OF MINISTRIES
Article 92. (2) (d) of The Constitution of Zambia empowers His Excellency the President to establish, merge and dissolve Government Ministries and Departments, subject to approval by National Assembly.
Once, the President established new Ministries or re-aligns existing ones. The Division facilitates the operationalization of such directives through the design of appropriate organisation structures, defining their functions as well as accompanying staffing levels and implementation of performance management systems. This includes the realignment of Statutory Functions and Portifolios.
The Permanent Secretary
Management Development Division
P.O. Box 30208
Tel. +260 211 25 3407