Office of the secretary to the cabinet
The Office of the Secretary to the Cabinet is established under Article (176) of the Constitution of Zambia and is responsible to the President for securing the general efficiency and effectiveness of the Public Service. Specifically, the functions are:
- Providing secretariat service to Cabinet;
- Ensuring translation of Cabinet decisions into government policies and programmes in order to facilitate implementation of the decisions by appropriate Public Service institutions;
- Providing and spearheading the implementation of the strategic vision of the Public Service in order to facilitate its transformation and attainment of Government priorities;
- Coordinating the development and implementation of Reforms with a view of improving public service delivery;
- Overseeing the development and implementation of interventions to facilitate private sector participation in industrialisation and job creation;
- Monitoring and evaluating the overall performance of the Public Service;
- Facilitating the implementation of decentralization and rural development in order to improve delivery of quality services by local authorities and promote balanced socio-economic development;
- Overseeing ad-hoc Commissions of Inquiry and arbitrating appeals from contending ministries and agencies as well as performing functions that are not allocated to any ministry, and
- Coordinating and overseeing the Administration and management of the Public Service.
The Secretary to the Cabinet is assisted by two Deputy Secretaries to Cabinet. One responsible for Administration and the other responsible for Finance and Economic Development.
CABINET SECRETARY’S BUREAU
Cabinet Secretaries Bureau is responsible for providing support to the Office of the Secretary to the Cabinet on special assignments and in coordinating Public Sector and Economic Management issues to secure the general efficiency and effectiveness of the Public Service. Specifically the functions of the Bureau are:
- Ensuring that the strategic and administrative decisions by the Secretary to the Cabinet are followed up and implemented by the relevant Public Service institutions;
- Updating the Secretary to the Cabinet on strategic initiatives and policy issues in the Public Service;
- Researching and providing advice to the Secretary to the Cabinet on a variety of specific areas as may be assigned; and
- Scheduling and prioritizing on behalf of the Secretary to the Cabinet meetings to facilitate briefing and high level coordination of policy and programme implementation in the Public Service and preparing correspondence on behalf of the Secretary to the Cabinet, including the drafting of general replies.